2017 Auditions ARE NOW CLOSED.
Auditions will be held at Sonoran Trails Middle School on Saturday, January 21st.
Audition registrations will NOT be considered complete until these 3 requirements are met:
- Complete the Registration Form.
- Complete the Sign Up Genius to select an Audition Time (IMPORTANT: Sign Up Genius link will be displayed immediately AFTER submitting registration form.)
- Bio and Headshot submitted per directions below.
Questions? Contact Jennifer at email@example.com.
To prepare for our annual Rock the District Auditions, here are some details:
- Performers will be asked to play 1-3 songs. If selected for the show, performers will be asked to play 4 – 15 minutes (1 – 3 songs)
- Main stage performances are best when they feature ‘group’ acts – bands, duets, trios, show choirs, etc. Solo performers are encouraged to audition with other solo artists to work duets or trio numbers into a ten minute slot. This reduces time spent on stage adjustments between acts.
- Example: Two solo artists each do one solo, and a duet together within their 10 minutes.
- 6th – 12th grades
- Attend school in the CCUSD district (preferred, but not required)
- Must be a vocal performance; with guitar, keyboard, ukulele or some other similar supporting instrument. Single vocalists are encouraged to use live musical accompanist over backtracks if at all possible.
- Music should be rock, pop, or alternative ‘coffee house’ style selections
- Lyrics must be family friendly and age appropriate
- Covers are preferred. If you plan to audition with originals, have covers prepared as well.
- Come prepared with 4 to 5 numbers for the judges to select from. (If you have fewer, we recommend you partner with another artist to share your slot)
- Performers need to be ‘Show Ready” at the audition and demonstrate strong performance ability and confidence. Performers will be selected based on strong vocal ability, instrumental mastery, stage presence and song selections.
- Sonoran Trails Middle School in the multipurpose room (drama room) in the back of the campus.
- Please enter the gates to the left of the main entrance, and follow the signs to the room across the lawn.
- Sonoran Trails Middle School
5555 E Pinnacle Vista Dr, Phoenix, AZ
- Each performer will sign up for an audition during a particular half hour block. Multiple musicians will be assigned to each block and will be auditioned in the order they arrive. Plan to be there at least 20 minutes prior to your audition time, and plan to be patient as we may run behind schedule.
- We’ll have a practice room available if you want to tune your instrument or warm up your voice.
Bring to Audition:
- Musicians will need to bring: Instruments and guitar pedals (if needed) (except Drum Kit) – we will provide PA, Drumkit, 2 guitar amps, bass amp, 3 Mics, and sound guys.
- For those singing to a backing track, please NO VOCALS on the back track, it needs to be a karaoke track.
- You will need to bring the backing track music on a smartphone or ipad, we can’t accommodate a CD.
Prior to Audition: BIO AND HEADSHOT
- Prior to your audition, please submit a photo and bio so we can load the performers up on our RTD website and facebook as soon as possible after final performer selections are made.
1. Send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
2. VERY IMPORTANT: use the name of the performer or performance group as the SUBJECT of the email
3. In the body of the email, write the bio to be published. Bios are not to exceed 200 words
4. Attach a photo to the email, making sure that the photo file corresponds to the name of the performer/group. Example: TheKards.jpg Please send the largest size file you have available for publication. Photos will cropped/sized according to use for web or print.
Tips for a great audition:
- Your audition begins the moment you approach the registration table. Be on time, be professional, enthusiastic, and organized.
- Plan to introduce yourself to the judges prior to playing/singing. You’ll want to share your name or Band’s name, school(s), and grade(s).
- Also plan to introduce each number prior to performing it; song title and artist, and why you chose this song. (examples might be that you like the artist, you like the genre of music, you like the message in the lyrics, or something else personal that you think makes this a great song for you to perform at the show.
- Performers need to be ‘Show Ready” at the audition and demonstrate strong performance ability and confidence. Performers will be selected based on strong vocal ability, instrumental mastery, stage presence and song selections. We anticipate an audience of 800 – 1000 people this year!
- Practice, practice, practice!
Expectations if you are selected to perform in the show:
The Rock the District Concert and Raffle event is a fundraiser for the Cave Creek Unified Education Foundation. Profits from ticket sales and raffle tickets go back into our schools through a grant application process to purchase items that are not funded by our schools’ budgets. (visit www.ccuef.org to review past grant applications that we have funded through YOUR efforts.)
In order to ensure a successful event – we ask each performer to commit to the following:
- Pre-sell 10 tickets to the show, or a VIP table, or a FAN Club membership which includes tickets (see www.Rockthedistrict.net for details on FAN Club).
- Note that for groups and bands, each performer is responsible to sell 10 tickets OR
- Donate an item for the silent auction OR donate money to CCUEF in lieu of a raffle item. More information coming soon regarding this commitment.
- Social Media- be prepared to “like” or “follow” other musicians social media and engage in positive support of each other.